- GINGER-LIME MARINADE
- 3 tablespoons each fresh lime juice and gluten-free Asian fish sauce
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, the bottom third yummy part only, sliced
- 2 tablespoons date sugar (or 3 tablespoons honey with a teaspoon of molasses)
- 1 tablespoon each peeled chopped fresh ginger and olive oil
- 1 large jalapeño chile, sliced (optional if you do not like spicy)
- 1 shallot, sliced (you may use a small onion if you are doing this on a whim and no shallots are to hand)
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4 (6-ounce) ¾-in thick swordfish, basa, or swai, halved lengthwise
- Olive oil for brushing on the fish.
- GINGER-LIME MARINADE:
- Process all marinade ingredients in a food processor until pureed.
- Reserve ⅓ cup for savoy cabbage slaw. (Recipe is here)
- Pour remaining marinade into a large food-storage bag and add fish fillets.
- Close bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, turning bag once or twice.
Remove filets from marinade. Wipe excess marinade from filets with a paper towel.
Brush skewers with olive oil, then carefully thread lengthwise through fillets.
Brush the cooking grates clean and oil the grill rack.
Lightly brush filets with oil.
Grill skewers over direct heat until you can turn them without sticking, 3 to 4 minutes. Grill 4 minutes more or until barely opaque in the thickest parts.